Starting up a coffee shop takes a unique combination of entrepreneurial know-how and deep knowledge of coffee culture. This curated guide takes the best of the web on how to start a business, make a business plan, and open a successful coffee shop business.
How to Start a Business: Opening a Coffee Shop
Coffee isn’t a drink, it’s a passion. Coffee startups need to carefully navigate the trends of what’s popular now while still meeting their business objectives. Here is some powerful advice on how to start a business including insider tips from coffee startup owners.
- How to Start a Local Business (infographic)
- 13 Questions to Answer Before Starting a New Business
- Want to Open a Coffee Shop? Consider These 3 Tips First
- 10 Things Every Coffee Shop Owner Needs to Know
- 10 Steps to Start Your Business
How to Make a Business Plan: Coffee Shop Business Plans
Making a business plan helps you flesh out the details of your strategy and is a crucial step for starting up your small business. Business plans are often required for financing because they demonstrate that entrepreneurs have fully researched their business and are ready to tackle the most common obstacles to success. Here we’re including our favorite links on how to write a business plan along with sample business plans specifically for coffee shops.
- How to Write a Business Plan
- Coffee Shop Business Plan Template
- Coffee Shop Business Plan Sample
- Café Sample Business Plan
Opening a Café: Finding the Right Concept and Location
Atmosphere can make or break your coffee shop. It’s more than just finding a location that gets good foot traffic—it’s about creating a coffee culture that is memorable and makes people yearn to come back. Here are some truly creative ways to stand out taken from around the world.
- 63 Innovative Cafe Culture Ideas
- The Best Location for a Coffee Shop May Not Be Main Street
- 10 Great Locations to Start Your Coffee Shop Business
- 12 Coffee shop interior designs from around the world
How to Start a Café Successfully: Planning
Before getting started, carefully research what it takes to create a successful coffee shop. Talk to other café owners, learn as much as possible about the demographics of your location, and immerse yourself in the local coffee culture.
- How to Open a Coffee Shop
- 10 Steps to Open a Coffee Shop of Your Own
- What’s the secret to opening a successful coffee shop?
- Want to open a coffee shop? Keep these owners’ tips in mind.
Costs of Starting Up a Coffee Shop Business
Before opening up your café, make sure you have a firm grasp of all the costs and your likely profits. If you require financing, your business plan will come in handy.
- How Much Does it Cost to Open a Coffee Shop?
- Coffee Shop Cost Analysis
- Coffee Shop Equipment List
- Business trends & research roundup: Pay & compensation
- Get Paid: Choosing a POS system
- How small businesses finance growth
Coffee Startup Ideas: What to Offer
Your customers can buy coffee from anywhere. One of the best ways to stand out in the marketplace is to offer memorable treats along with your coffee. Here’s some great advice on expanding your offerings, creating a menu that stands out, and moving perishable foods before they go stale.
- Business accelerators: Expanding into a new market or service
- Creating a menu
- Design for Better Business: The Art and Science of Menu Design
- Unique Coffee Shop Ideas
- Business Problem Turnaround: Moving perishable products before they go stale
Advertising a Coffee Shop Business: A Collection of More than 70 Ideas
Now that you have a plan for your coffee shop, it’s time to get customers in the door. Here are some great ideas for attracting customers during slower periods.
- Learn To Promote Your Coffee Shop Business
- Populating your coffee shop after the am rush
- 6 Coffee Shop Marketing Strategies That Cost Less Than $100 A Month
- 8 Ways to Bring More People Into Your Coffee Shop This Fall
- 4 ideas for bringing in traffic on your slow days
- 50 Creative Coffee Shop Marketing Ideas & Strategies
- Top 10 New ideas for Coffee Shop promotion
- Outside the Box Marketing Ideas for Coffee Shops
Promoting Loyalty to Your Coffee Shop Business
Regulars are the lifeblood of a coffee shop’s business, and loyalty programs can increase business up to 20%. Make sure your coffee loyalty perks bring them back.
- Three Customer Loyalty Lessons From Coffee Companies—Only One Is Good
- How to Structure a Customer Loyalty Program for Your Coffee Shop
- 4 Customer Loyalty Ideas for Cafes
- Crowd pleasers: 8 smart, affordable ideas to deepen customer loyalty
Move your coffee shop from concept to reality. From accepting payment to running your business we have an app for you. Get Clover in your corner and start up your coffee shop today.
Clover is sold by leading U.S. banks including Bank of America, BBVA, Citi, PNC, Sun Trust and Wells Fargo. You’ll also find Clover at our trusted partners including Ignite Payments, Restaurant Depot, and Sam’s Club. For more information, visit us at clover.com.